Skip to main content

A Letter to my son's Teacher

To my son's teacher

From the time I found out that Nathan had autism I started thinking about school and I always got anxiety.

Once he entered his second year of pre school my anxiety started going through the roof. I was so worried about him going to Kindergarten. 

I would cry most nights thinking about it. He was safe in pre school. He had routine. He loved his teacher. 

I would wonder who his new teacher was going to be. I would pray every single night that God would protect him always and give him the best people in his life to help him continue to grow. To protect him like I would. To keep him safe.

The answer to my prayers came when I got the call from you. The moment I spoke to you, I knew God had answered my prayers.

Stacey, Nathan has been blessed more than you could ever know. 


You listened to every single concern without judgement.

You listened to every single need of Nathan's.

You always go above and beyond to make sure we know Nathan is good.

The way you call your kids, your little "love bugs" makes my heart smile. 

The fact that Nathan runs to you to give you a hug every single morning is amazing. He doesn't do that with anybody.


You have been so patient and understanding with how we deal with Nathan's anxiety. You understand that some days he "just needs a break." And his little penguin that he holds every day to calm his anxiety is the absolute best!


You have given us so much guidance and show that you understand what we are going through.

When you were out and called to make sure that Nathan was ok, showed me your compassion and that you think about your students above everything.

You are an extraordinary woman and I can truly say that you are the blessing that I prayed for every single night.

Thank you for loving my son. We don't know what we'd do without you as a part of our lives and as a part of Nathan's team.

Love
Heather

Comments

  1. Wow , What a great Teacher he has, & Your right God gave you all the right one , I am so happy to see he is doing so good , Heather you & Don are doing a GREAT JOB with him , Love you all, Love Aunt Rosie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Comes Easy

Nathan got a "big boy" bike for Christmas.  He's five so it seemed fitting. But  in our world age doesn't mean anything.   He's five and just got potty trained a few months ago.  He's five and still can't talk. He's five and is still learning how to dress himself. So being five really doesn't matter. He was outside today on his bike. He loves it. He gets on it like a big boy and tries so hard, but he can't ride it. He doesn't understand the concept of pedaling. So his dad pushes him along pushing his feet as they go. I stood in the window watching with tears in my eyes.  On one hand they are tears of utter joy that my son is out there trying to ride his bike. But...on the other hand my tears are of such sadness that everything he does is so extra hard for him.  It tears me apart. I know he will get it. I know he won't give up...we won't give up. We will celebrate the milestone extra hard when he's riding a long all on his own. A

Daddy, I've been watching you

Today while driving in the car we heard these lyrics: "He said I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are We like fixing things and holding mama's hand Yeah we're just alike, hey ain't we dad I wanna do everything you do So I've been watching you" I started to tear up.  I got to thinking about our little boy.  Nathan is 5 and is non-verbal with autism. He can say some words when prompted but cannot hold a conversation. When I heard the lyrics I started thinking that Nathan can't say these words to his dad. He can't tell him with his voice how much he wants to be like his dad. But with autism we have learned that words aren't the only way to show love. Nathan constantly tells his dad "I wanna do everything you do, so I've been watching you." He shows it every time he puts on his dad's hat. He shows it every time he grabs the hair cli

Autism Changed our Marriage

"Your son has autism."  These words were a sledgehammer to my chest.  These were the words that changed our lives. These were the words that changed our marriage. Neither one of us wanted to accept it. We didn't want our son to have a lifelong struggle. We wanted his life to be as easy as we were able to help make it.  Dom didn't want to accept it at first. He didn't want to believe that anything could be wrong. He wanted to keep believing that Nathan would be fine. I on the other hand dove into the dreaded INTERNET. This was the worst thing that I could do to myself. I would read the worst of the worst about autism and cause myself such anxiety and stress. I would cry all day long. Dom didn't want to hear any of it. He would get so angry that I would "intentionally" make myself cry.  I began keeping what I would find to myself. I felt like I couldn't talk to him about it.  With Autism comes anxiety. Nathan's anxiety would increase.  He would