Skip to main content

Haircuts in the Autism World

"Nathan it's time for a haircut" is a trigger to a meltdown like no other. 

He screams, he cries, he tries to hide the hair clippers from us. It is one of the worst tasks we have to do with him.

We tried taking him to a barber a couple of times, but he would get completely overwhelmed.

Over the Summer, Nathan and his sister went and stayed with their grandparents. His grandpa decided to try to take him to a barber shop to get his haircut. We gave the permission thinking, it's a whole new place, he's not with mom and dad, so maybe it will be a good thing.

It went FABULOUSLY!!!

They sent us picture when he was done and he looked so adorable.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Picture day was coming up and Nathan deeply needed a haircut. It was so long.

We would ask him if he was ready. He would say no. So the day before picture day, I put him in the car and took him to the barber. I was waiting for the meltdown...it didn't come.


He walked in and sat down while we waited. I could tell he was anxious. I talked him through it. He started stimming--flapping his hands, jumping up and down. He was actually excited.

He sat down and got his hair cut. 

There were some stipulations on his end. No clippers. He does not like the noise. He also would move every time he heard the clippers from someone else. But we got through the haircut successfully.

He got to go to the store afterward and pick a treat. 

My handsome boy faced his fears and anxiety. I have learned to just keep trying. It might take 1000 times for Nathan to do something, but on 1001 we can praise the milestone.

I am so proud of my little boy!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Comes Easy

Nathan got a "big boy" bike for Christmas.  He's five so it seemed fitting. But  in our world age doesn't mean anything.   He's five and just got potty trained a few months ago.  He's five and still can't talk. He's five and is still learning how to dress himself. So being five really doesn't matter. He was outside today on his bike. He loves it. He gets on it like a big boy and tries so hard, but he can't ride it. He doesn't understand the concept of pedaling. So his dad pushes him along pushing his feet as they go. I stood in the window watching with tears in my eyes.  On one hand they are tears of utter joy that my son is out there trying to ride his bike. But...on the other hand my tears are of such sadness that everything he does is so extra hard for him.  It tears me apart. I know he will get it. I know he won't give up...we won't give up. We will celebrate the milestone extra hard when he's riding a long all on his own. A

Daddy, I've been watching you

Today while driving in the car we heard these lyrics: "He said I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are We like fixing things and holding mama's hand Yeah we're just alike, hey ain't we dad I wanna do everything you do So I've been watching you" I started to tear up.  I got to thinking about our little boy.  Nathan is 5 and is non-verbal with autism. He can say some words when prompted but cannot hold a conversation. When I heard the lyrics I started thinking that Nathan can't say these words to his dad. He can't tell him with his voice how much he wants to be like his dad. But with autism we have learned that words aren't the only way to show love. Nathan constantly tells his dad "I wanna do everything you do, so I've been watching you." He shows it every time he puts on his dad's hat. He shows it every time he grabs the hair cli

Autism Changed our Marriage

"Your son has autism."  These words were a sledgehammer to my chest.  These were the words that changed our lives. These were the words that changed our marriage. Neither one of us wanted to accept it. We didn't want our son to have a lifelong struggle. We wanted his life to be as easy as we were able to help make it.  Dom didn't want to accept it at first. He didn't want to believe that anything could be wrong. He wanted to keep believing that Nathan would be fine. I on the other hand dove into the dreaded INTERNET. This was the worst thing that I could do to myself. I would read the worst of the worst about autism and cause myself such anxiety and stress. I would cry all day long. Dom didn't want to hear any of it. He would get so angry that I would "intentionally" make myself cry.  I began keeping what I would find to myself. I felt like I couldn't talk to him about it.  With Autism comes anxiety. Nathan's anxiety would increase.  He would